Consulting Manager Interview Questions
The consulting manager works closely with various departments. They are liaisons between the company’s management and clients. Their aim is to decrease costs and increase revenue. Hence, this job shouldn’t be underestimated, as CM is responsible for the enterprise’s wellbeing.
The top-skilled consulting manager is able to spot the problem and come up with an efficient solution as soon as possible. However, this process is more time-consuming than it seems and consists of several stages. Firstly, a consulting manager should gather and organize information about the problem. Secondly, they analyze finances, revenue, expenditure, and employment reports. Finally, they develop and recommend solutions. To this end, a qualified candidate should display solid analytical and communication skills. These professionals must be able to adapt to any situation and demonstrate strong stress resistance. Thus, finding the proper applicant is the mission-critical task for a company. Get prepared properly with these consulting manager interview questions.
Begin your interview with questions uncovering the professional background of a candidate, their experience, and own ‘school of thought’. The following questions might be helpful:
- Describe your previous job duties. How are they related to this role?
- Tell us about your failed recommendations. What were the consequences? How did you fix the situation?
- Have your recommendations ever lowered expenses and increased revenue?
- What was the most challenging project you have worked on? What was your contribution?
- How do you compile reports and documents?
Bachelor’s degree is usually required for the entry-level position. However, candidates who obtained the Certified Management Consultant (CMC) take priority. In order to explore your applicant’s educational level, ask the following:
- Tell us about your education?
- How did you obtain Certified Management Consultant?
- Describe the process of certification.
- What was the most challenging?
- Will you continue your education?
It’s important to evaluate how the candidate would act in this or that situation, and how they would handle typical consulting issues. Ask a couple of situational questions:
- A popular ski resort is on the verge of bankruptcy. What suggestions on improvements would you make?
- How would you tackle the situation when an upper manager rejected your suggestion?
Consulting manager job involves a great deal of communication every day. Thus, solid interaction skills are of great importance. Moreover, a qualified specialist must be always in the loop of the current business landscape. So, curiosity is a must. In order to probe the job seeker’s personality, ask these questions:
- Evaluate your communication skills.
- What is your biggest strength?
- What is your weakness?
- Are you inquisitive?
- What is your leadership style?
- Can you bounce back quickly after failures?
- How would you assess your presentation skills?
In the end of interview, make sure that the candidate will be a perfect fit for your company and its principles. Ask the following:
- What do you know about our enterprise?
- Why are you a perfect candidate for this position?
- What schedule do you expect?
- What salary do you expect?