The Data Center Engineer is responsible for planning, layout and complete installation of new commercial and retrofit commercial communications equipment and systems in accordance with all applicable plans, specifications, codes and industry standards.
- Install, test, and label cable (CAT5-CAT7) and fiber (SM and MM) using standard data center protocols and using cable management and structured cabling systems
- Install cable tray, ladder rack and grounding and bonding
- Install and validate servers, network infrastructure, and supporting hardware in a mission critical datacenter, while ensuring proper Rack/Cable/Switch/Power/Cooling metrics are maintained
- Decommission and removal of retired equipment
- Professional and prompt responses to customers' requests; effectively resolving customers' concerns and problem solving
- Reading plans and specifications
- Reliable transportation and tools
- Interface with customers and Data Center Lead to clarify project status
- Ensure subordinates and installers are adequately trained to perform activities to industry standards
- Conduct face-to-face project start (Method of Procedure) meetings
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and vendors
- Manage work and priorities through ticketing system and coordination with Data Center Lead
- Hardware diagnosis and replacement of failed components.
- Work may include supervising and mentoring a team of up to 2 technicians/interns
- Responsible for the adding and updating of Data Center assets within the Data Center Infrastructure (DCIM) platform.
- Assist with remediation and audit of assets within the Data Center Infrastructure (DCIM) platform.
- Ensure the Data Center (Main Floor and Storage Areas) are clean and organized
- Disposal of project material packaging
- Responsible for Data Center shipping and receiving, coordinating with Shipping and Receiving personnel
- Provide On-Call duties on assigned weeks, which may include response to clients' needs during overnight or weekends
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of Data Center centric policies and procedures
- Work well within a team
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good customer service skills
- Strong computer soft skills required (Windows, Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, Data Center Infrastructure (DCIM) related tools)
- Adaptable to changing environments
- 7-10 years of telecom equipment installation experience is required.
- Capable of independently leading data center equipment installation projects
- Full working knowledge of test equipment; the ability to install and work with different types of connectors, terminations and pin configurations; knowledge of color codes; and familiarity with TIA and EIA standards and section 800 of the NEC is a plus
- Cable testing (fiber, copper, coax) experience
- Experience with completing quality assurance procedures and checking the final product for errors
- 5+ years' experience working in a Central Office Environment including Lacing and Stitching
- Strong knowledge of high availability best practices and implementation
- Terminations (copper / fiber) per TIA/EIA Standards
- Work with 110/66 Blocks
- Experience using test equipment such as: Viavi, Fluke, Exfo, JDSU and Fiber Optic Power meters to perform circuit testing such as, DS-1 / 3's, OC-3 to 192, GIG-E, Fast Ethernet
- Strong knowledge of storage systems, mainframes, servers, network switches, network appliances
- Experience with ticketing software (ServiceNow/Remedy)
- 5+ years' experience working with (208V AC), and (48V, 24V DC) power systems.
- Must provide evidence of at least 10 years' experience in the communications industry. 5+ years of Data Center experience working In a large enterprise data center environment
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED or the equivalent
Certifications or Licenses:
- BICSI Installer certification (or equivalent training and experience) required.
- Manufacturing certifications (Panduit, Hubbell, TE)