This is an opportunity to play a key role in growing the company’s business into completely new market segments and products. The primary scope of this position is to support the business leaders and manage business development projects to completion in the rail industry. The Manager is responsible for the research, planning, management, and implementation of product and business development related strategies, projects and promotions. This position is also responsible for identifying new product opportunities, leveraging existing product lines, leading internal improvement projects and developing ways to increase market share.
The ideal candidate has an engineering or business development background with excellent technical, selling, operations and communication skills to handle various business development activities related to products. The duties will include, but not be limited to: conducting market analysis, preparing contextual product demonstrations, leading the business case development, working with the Products’ team on segment sales strategy, managing distribution network and leading various internal project teams.
- Implements periodic in-depth strategy reviews on key business issues, which will establish the business imperatives for the organization. These reviews include providing competitive intelligence on market trends; competitor actions and changes in product or application technology; and the analysis and development of business cases.
- Undertakes tasks to discover new business lines for growth or to enhance the product portfolio
- Leads the analysis, reporting and communication of this business information to support decision making
- Leads cross-functional business teams through evaluation, plan development and execution
- Supports and promotes an understanding and alignment of various initiatives in alignment with the company's strategy; and ensures appropriate focus of resources, priorities and accountability
- Serves as the expert for new business development and implementation, and as a key advisor to leadership team
- With the leadership team, develops strategies for driving growth and profitability of the business unit
- With the leadership team, identifies and develops new market, customer and product opportunities
- Drives product lifecycle management and competitive analysis
- Conducts field and customer research – be the "voice of the customer" within the organization
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Business Development - Master's preferred.
- Minimum Level of 8 to 10 years, Preferred Level of 10 to 15 years
- Willingness to travel up to 40%
- Experience identifying new opportunity areas within the key product categories and executing solutions strategy across the key segments
- Successful experience creating and implementing business development strategies for an industrial or transportation products manufacturing organization
- Experienced managing and leading all aspects of business development, including frequent collaboration with R&D, Sales, Operations, and Product Engineering teams
- Ability to identify customer research needs and present customer insights to support new product strategies and programs
- Ability to assist in optimizing sales channel strategy in terms of lead generation, product requirements and relevant customer benefits
- Strong project management and team facilitation skills
- Technical aptitude required
- Self-directed and self-motivated with good planning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lead and influence but at the same time remain objective and create a collaborative environment
- Good computer skills (Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word)