University Heights Charter School
University Heights Charter School (UHCS) is an anchor educational institution in the Central Ward of Newark, New Jersey. Our mission is to develop in each scholar the character, scholarship, and leadership necessary to succeed in life, college, and community.The free public charter school opened in Fall 2006 with grades K-2 and now educates 658 students in grades PreK to 8. Our historically underserved student population is 84% low income and 100% minority.
Our strategy to achieve this mission is based on a theory of change guided by six core beliefs:
1. All students can achieve high levels of character, scholarship, and leadership.
2. Effective instruction is the single greatest factor in increasing student achievement.
3. Great educators are the key to effective instruction.
4. Strong school culture makes effective instruction possible.
5. Data-driven decision-making improves instruction effectiveness.
6. Partnerships with parents and community reinforce student learning and achievement.
To execute this strategy, UHCS spends significant resources attracting and hiring the most highly qualified and certified educators available, with many times more applicants as openings. Once educators are hired we provide extensive support and professional development including up to three weeks in the summer. We are relentless in finding and developing the best team possible to educate our scholars.