Shelby County Schools
A Major, Urban School District on the
Cutting Edge of Closing the Achievement Gap
Shelby County Schools is one of the 25 largest school districts in the nation located in a large city with a hometown feel, Memphis, TN. Here in the Bluff City, we are dedicated to preparing all students for success in learning, leadership and life.
• Our promise is that by 2025, 80% of our students will be college & career ready, 90% will graduate high school, and 100% of graduates will enroll in post-secondary education.
• Our work is deeply rooted in the belief that every child is capable of learning and that education is the great equalizer. With 84% of all students considered economically disadvantaged, Shelby County Schools truly is a place where progressive leaders in education can make a difference in the lives of our country’s most underserved children.
Though our challenges are significant, we are a district on the rise.
• Shelby County Schools has been a level 5 growth district—the highest achievable level in TN--for the past three years.
• Shelby County Schools has seen district-wide math proficiency scores double in the past three years.
• Shelby County Schools I-Zone schools were once performing in the bottom 5% of TN, and are now making significant gains towards the goal of performing amongst the top 25% within five years.
We are a district committed to progressive strategies and practices that promote student achievement. We do this by ensuring that every classroom has an effective teacher and every school is operated by staff and leaders committed to excellence.
Memphis, TN, United States